Following upon the success of the METRO GREEN Line Maintenance of Way (MOW) Facility designed for Los Angeles MTA, the JGM Team was tasked with providing a slightly larger facility for the Blue Line Del Amo Site in Long Beach CA.
When designing an MOW it is important to first identify the essential functional elements of the facility, then, insure proper integration of these elements into a simple straight forward and efficient yard and shop. As such this facility will constitute a major capital investment and must be designed in the most efficient and utilitarian manner possible.
These essential elements of the full-service MOW include:
- Vehicle Storage yard with paved access aisle, yard lead tracks and circulation tracks
- Car Wash for exterior cleaning and a dedicated car or train position for interior cleaning
- Wheel truing and wheel truing preparation positions
- Routine maintenance/running repair bays
- Heavy repair bays with overhead crane capabilities
- In floor lifts for cars or trains
- Truck, machine and sheet metal shops
- Component repair shops
- Shipping, receiving and storage facilities
- Yard and shop substations
- Data and other linkages to the Rail Operations Center (ROC)
- Dedicated rooms for operations control and train dispatch
- Accommodations for operations, maintenance, security, and administrative personnel.